Friday, October 14, 2011

Poetry Baskets

We started incorporating poetry baskets into our school week last year. I have always been a fan of poetry, my favorite poet being Robert Frost. Our two girls have memorized several of his poems, and his poem October was the topic for one of their poetry baskets this week.
My little first grader has done two poetry baskets so far this year: Autumn Leaves are Falling Down and Have You Ever Seen an Apple?
These poems were perfect for him because he could read them himself! We talked about the theme of the poem, the rhythm, and the different vocabulary words. I like to use hands-on manipulatives that relate to each poem, so for the ones pictured above, there were some artificial fall leaves as well as those cute little apples I told you about in another post.
Poetry baskets are a great addition to our school week, and the kids really seem to enjoy them!


1 comment: