Tuesday, July 26, 2011

There's A New Sheriff In Town!

Our little boy is obsessed with anything related to police, hunting, and guns. Now, I will be the first one to admit this: before I had a little boy, I was one of those moms who said I would NEVER ever allow any child of mine to play with any sort of gun- period.  I remember sitting at the park, gawking at "those moms" who had little boys running around with sticks playing guns and swords and as sad as it is to confess this, I would say aloud how they must be terrible moms to allow such horrible behavior! My my- how things change.
This little boy of ours, at the age of two, before he ever had a toy gun, saw a gun, or heard of a gun chewed a piece of toast into the shape of you guessed it- a gun! I remember just sitting there staring at him and wondering how in the world did he know how to do that? Of course, he couldn't call it the correct word, but he called it "that shooty thing".
Anytime he saw a police officer, he wanted to know exactly what their gun was used for. He almost died of excitement, the day he received the book pictured above Police Patrol.  He will sit there for an hour and just look at all the pictures, and I must have read it to him over a thousand times by now.
I think though that the highlight of his short life has been getting a nerf gun. He loves shooting those little foam darts out onto anything they will stick to. And he "patrols" our backyard daily, looking for anything he can hunt. Daddy has been really good at teaching him some basic rules about guns- real or not: never ever point them at any person or animal that is a pet. We have been extra diligent about that and even when he has mistakenly pointed at someone, the nerf gun is taken away for the entire day.
So, we've got a new little sheriff in town, although as you can see from the picture, sometimes its fun to be the criminal too!

No comments:

Post a Comment